2. Dumbbell Rear Delt Fly
This exercise is also referred to as the dumbbell reverse fly and helps to increase deltoid muscle strength and definition. The dumbbell rear delt fly focuses on the rear deltoids even though it works several of the upper body muscles.
What muscles does the dumbbell rear delt fly work?
As the name of the exercise suggest, the primary muscles targeted with dumbbell rear delt fly are the rear delts.
The trapezius is also effectively strengthened with the dumbbell rear delt fly. The muscles of the upper back such as the erector spinae and rhomboids are also worked. The core muscles are also activated for stabilizing the body while performing this exercise.
Benefits of the dumbbell rear delt fly
1. The dumbbell rear delt fly helps build stronger shoulders
The shoulder muscles are strengthened by the dumbbell rear delt fly from the development of the posterior deltoids. This exercise can help with performance improvement of exercises such as the barbell bench press and overhead dumbbell press.
2. The dumbbell rear delt fly helps improve posture
The dumbbell rear delt fly is an excellent exercise for improving posture, and can tighten the upper back to help correct rounded and hunched shoulders. The engagement of the core muscles from this exercise will also help in maintaining a straight back
Instructions for the dumbbell rear delt fly
1. Standing with the feet apart at shoulder width, bend at the waist till the back is just about parallel to the floor.
2. Bending the arms slightly, contract the rear deltoids to lift the dumbbell up and out to the sides while squeezing the shoulder blades together when reaching the top.
3. Slowly bring the arms down to the start position while keeping your core tight.
4. Repeat the sequence for the desired number of repetitions.
This exercise should be done with 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions, meaning that the above steps need to be repeated for 8 to 12 times with 1 -2 minute break before repeating the set another 2 or 3 times.
Want to use our images on your site? Right click on image for embed code