3. Dumbbell lateral raise
Dumbbell lateral raises are a good way to build a wide upper body, which makes your waist seem slimmer and gives you a V-shaped torso. If you want to build big shoulders boulder-style, the lateral raise is one of the best exercises you can do. It’s also very straightforward. All it involves is raising weights to the side, up to shoulder height, then lowering them again.
What muscles does the dumbbell lateral raise work?
Primary muscles worked:
The lateral raise primarily targets the lateral head of the deltoid.
Secondary muscles worked:
To a lesser extent, the exercise also works the anterior and posterior deltoid.
Benefits of the dumbbell lateral raise
1. Helps to improve shoulder mobility
Lateral raises work your shoulders and help increase mobility. They’re not just for achieving a better-looking physique, they’re also valuable for maintenance and injury prevention.
2. Helps to improve posture
Along with increased strength and increased range of motion in the shoulders, lateral raises also work your posture and back muscles.
Instructions for the dumbbell lateral raise
- The starting position you need to be in is standing up straight with the dumbbells positioned at your side.
- Place the dumbbells beside your body, palms should face your body. Hold the weights off to your sides, slightly away from your body to engage the side delts.
- Raise the dumbbells slowly up to about shoulder height. Try not to let the wrists go above the elbows when lifting, as this will make it easier for you to target the side delts instead of the front delts.
- Pause momentarily with the weight at its most extreme point and then slowly bring it back to its starting position.
- Without allowing the weights to come into contact with your torso, raise them again for the next repetition.
Want to use our images on your site? Right click on image for embed code