The warrior 2 yoga pose is a bit more of an advanced extension of the Triangle pose. The warrior 2 pose benefits are very much like those provided by the Triangle pose, along with the additional benefit of the strengthening of the muscles of the thigh and leg.
- Stand upright with the feet approximately 3 feet apart or one leg’s length apart.
- Turn the right foot out by 90 degrees and the left foot in toward the right approximately 30 degrees.
- While inhaling, the arms should be stretched out from the shoulders so the body forms a T.
- Bend the right knee, and form a right angle with the thigh and calf.
- Be careful that the knee doesn’t extend over the right foot. Keep the left leg straight, engage the muscles and ground the sole of the left foot on the floor.
- With the head turned gaze over the right hand. Keep the shoulders down and clear of the ears.
- Bend the waist as the upper torso is twisted to the right. The right forearm can be placed on the right thighbone if it feels more comfortable. The left arm remains perpendicular to the floor. The head is turned to the left and look up at the raised left hand.
- The right hand can be lowered onto a yoga block as you grow stronger.
- The left arm is raised directly above the right and held for several breaths.
- The upper body and then the right leg is straighten, and the arms then lowered to the side.
- The feet are turned the opposite way and the pose then repeated on the other side.
Warrior 2 Pose Benefits:
- Stretches and strengthens the legs, feet and ankles
- Stimulates digestion and the abdominal organs
- Stretches the hips, groin, shoulders and chest
- Helps to relieve backache, particularly during the 2nd trimester of pregnancy
- Boosts concentration and stamina
- Helps to open the lungs
- Therapeutic for osteoporosis, flat fleet, sciatica and carpal tunnel syndrome