What is the right amount of sleep for an average adult?
- One of the problems with the world we currently live in is that some people see living on less sleep as something to aim for. They feel the need to be constantly driven and see sleep as a secondary requirement. This is most definitely not the case. Everyone is different when it comes to how much sleep they need in order to be healthy and fully productive. That being said, the average human adult needs around 7/8 hours sleep in each twenty four hour period.
- If you regularly get less sleep than this there is a good chance that your health could be adversely affected. Let’s take a look at what can happen if you do not get enough sleep and what you can so to help improve your sleep pattern.
What can happen if you do not get the right amount of sleep?
You may not be aware of it, but your body repairs and revitalizes itself while you are asleep. This means that if you do not sleep for long enough your body misses out on the chance to do this to the full extent. Lack of sleep can also have an adverse effect on the way you think and carry out everyday functions. This can happen even after only one sleepless night. You may have problems concentrating when you drive, or when operating machinery at work. Both of these situations can be dangerous.
How to get the vital sleep you need
If you are not getting enough sleep, there are steps you can take to try and resolve the issue.
- Go to sleep at the same time each day.
It may not always be possible to take to your bed at a regular time, but it helps if you can do so as often as possible. It helps your body get used to a routine and makes getting to sleep easier.
- Stay away from caffeine and other stimulants.
You should avoid caffeine directly before you go to bed as it’s a stimulant. The same applies to nicotine and alcohol.
- Relax before you sleep.
If you want to make sure you sleep well it’s a good idea if you can develop a pre-sleep routine which relaxes you. This may involve things such as taking a warm bath.
- Optimise your sleeping environment.
You should always try and sleep in a room that is as dark as possible. You should pay particular attention to switching off electrical devices which emit blue light.
- Make sure your mattress is suitable.
It’s important to get the right amount of support from your mattress. If your current mattress is old, and has lost its firmness, it may be time to invest in a new one. Take a look at the best Canadian mattress and see how it can help you get a good night’s sleep.
All of the tips we have provided here should help you to get those 7 or 8 hours sleep you need, each day.
Want to use any of our images on your site?
Just right click on image for the embed code