8 Toxic Foods That You Should Stop Consuming (IMMEDIATELY)

1. Butter flavored microwave popcorn

The chemical diacetyl, used for adding the fake butter flavor to microwave popcorn has been found to cause a life-threatening and irreversible lung disease known as “popcorn lung” in workers who inhaled the substance.[1][2]

In response to the “popcorn lung” studies, manufacturers have started replacing diacetyl with another toxic chemical called 2,3-pentanedione (PD). A laboratory study has shown that PD damages the airway epithelium much the same as diacetyl. This damage is believed to be the underlying cause of “popcorn lung”.[3]

There has also been a suggested link between diacetyl and Alzheimer’s disease. Diacetyl also easily penetrates the blood-brain barrier, a layer of cells which keeps harmful substances from entering the brain but allows helpful substances to cross.[4]

What to do: Ditch the butter flavored microwave popcorn completely as these toxic chemicals are not required to be disclosed so reading the label is no guarantee of knowing which brands contain them. Pour organic melted butter (in moderation) over your popcorn for an authentic and non-toxic flavoring.

popcorn-lung

Want to use any of our images on your site?
Just right click on image for the embed code
Want more articles like this?

Get your daily dose of health by subscribing to our newsletter

Please wait...
Your information will never be shared with any third party. You can unsubscribe anytime.

Thank you for signing up!



close

Simply copy and paste the code below to embed the image on your page