The balancing stick pose will give the circulatory system a good workout. It will tone and firm the hips, buttocks, legs and shoulders. The balancing stick pose improves balance, concentration and mental focus. It will also improve body posture will improve as well, as the shoulder and lower back muscles will be strengthened.
- Standing with the feet together, lift the arms over the head, palms together, with fingers interlocked and index fingers pointing outwards.
- While inhaling take a step forward about a foot with the left leg, pointing the right toe rested lightly on the floor with the heel lifted.
- While exhaling allow the upper body to pivot forward from the hip with the right leg lifting up straight behind and the outstretched arms lower down in front. The lifted leg, upper body and arms should be perfectly parallel to the floor. Looked at from the side, the body would look like a T.
- While breathing normally hold for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Lower the right leg and lift the arms, returning to start position. Ensure the shoulders are down away from the ears.
- Repeat on the other side.
Balancing Stick Yoga Pose Benefits
- Strengthens the arms, upper thighs, buttocks and hips
- Strengthens the muscles of the heart
- Improves cardiovascular circulation
- Helps to relieve stress from the spine
- Helps to prevent varicose veins
- Helps to relieve tennis elbow